Using QR Codes 2/3: Ideas for the classroom

I’ve been using QR Codes with my groups of English students at the language school where I teach and also with my private corporate clients. It seems that the more I search for ways to use QR Codes, the more I learn with new ideas.

I’ve decided to post the Top 16 ideas on using QR codes in the classroom for educators, especially if you’re a teacher of English as a foreign or second language. I hope these ideas are helpful. Please leave a comment if you have any other ideas which I haven’t mentioned.

1. Instant Polls. Create instant polls and link them to a blog/PPT presentation so students can vote during a debate or discussion. Great idea for larger groups allowing everybody to participate in the lesson. To creat polls, try vorbeo.com or pollcode.com.

2. Letters to Parents. Add a QR Code with your contact so parents can call you or email you during the semester.

3. Parent-Teacher Meeting. If you have meetings with parents, it’s a good idea to have QR Codes on the walls of the classrooms with links to online projects/blogs by the group so parents can check their kids’ progress.

4. Conferences/Seminars. At the end of your session, post a code linking to slides of your presentation and contact info. You won’t need to give handouts or have participants making notes while you’re presenting.

5. Survey. Link the QR Code to google docs and stick it on the walls of the school asking students to complete the survey on their own time.

6. Feedback. Use google docs or an instant poll to get feedback from students at the end of your lesson.

7. Homework. Stick a QR code on the door at the end of the lesson so your students save the pages and exercises they have to do for the following lesson.

8. Extra practice. Print out QR codes on handouts you give your ss with extra practice online.

9. Follow us. Use QR Codes on posters around the school walls with the Twitter or Facebook of the school so that you get students following the school blog or Facebook page.

10. Suggestion box. Some parents don’t have time to fill in the form and put it in the suggestion box. Stick a QR code on the box so that parents can make suggestions/complaints on their own time.

11. Business Cards. Make your business cards with QR codes on it linking to your linked in profile or website. It’s a very good idea for corporate clients and to give parents after a meeting or on the first day of class. Convert your Business Card to Vcard here. Here’s an example: My Vcard.

12. Science fair/Projects. Make ss create QR Codes to add to their posters or handouts on a science fair or projects they present with posters on the wall. They can add media so that participants can watch videos or listen to audio related to the presentation.

13. Book reviews. If you have a library at your school, a good idea would be to make ss stick QR Codes on the back of the books with a short book review or just the students’ opinion.

14. DVD reviews. The school where I teach has a multimedia centre with DVDs which ss can rent and watch at home for free to practice their English. A good idea would be to have your ss stick QR Codes on the back of the DVD boxes with the trailer or review of the movie.

15. Coporate clients. I usually give my corporate clients a folder to keep all worksheets together. A good idea is to stick a QR Code on the folder with a link to a wiki or a blog where they’ll find extra exercises and activities.

16. Scavenger Hunts. This is one of my favorite ideas. It’s easier than you think to create your own scavenger hunt and use it to review language through a fun activity. I’ll post more details on my next post.

8 Responses to “Using QR Codes 2/3: Ideas for the classroom”

1.   Julio Says:

I would like to take attendance by scanning the qrcode for each student at the school and automatically sending it to google docs spreadsheet do you know if this is possible?

Thank you.

2.   eltbakery Says:

Hello Julio,

Thanks for commenting here. So, you would like to share a google doc spreadsheet for each student, meaning, each spreadsheet will be different? I think you can easily create a QR Code using the URL of the doc which will take the student straight to it. You would have to create 1 QR code for each student. Let me know if it worked.

Best,
    Eduardo

3.   Jennifer Says:

I am learning about QR codes, and am not quite as knowledgeable as I would like to be yet. I would like to create a QR code that can link to my resume for potential employers. Without creating a website to create a link, how can I link to my pdf resume in a QR code?
    Thanks!

4.   eltbakery Says:

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for commenting on my post. QR Codes are fascinating and extremely useful in the classroom. I hope you could get some ideas from my 3 posts.

Answering your question, to create a QR Code which will link to your CV, the CV should be available online. What I did with mine, I created an account on http://www.visualcv.com It’s easy and fast. Then, get that link and create a QR Code with it. I hope this is useful. If there’s anything else I can help you with, please drop a line!

5.   Jennifer Says:

This is great! Thank you so much for your help!

6.   eltbakery Says:

I’m glad it was useful for you Jennifer. :)

7.   Elise Says:

This is the second time I’ve been to your site. Thank you for sharing more information.

my website: tender writing

8.   eltbakery Says:

Thank you Elise for visiting my blog and thanks for sharing yours!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. » Using QR Codes 2/3: Ideas for the classroom ELT Bakery | Technology and language learning | Scoop.it
  2. » Using QR Codes 2/3: Ideas for the classroom ELT Bakery | Technology tools for teaching French | Scoop.it
  3. » Using QR Codes 3/3: Scavenger Hunt ELT Bakery